Site of Revolutionary War battle, located in historic park
The Old Stone House is a reconstruction of the original Dutch farmhouse, built in 1699. The small house museums sits at center of Washington Park, which features turf sports fields, newly renovated playgrounds, a dog run, a skate park, and handball and basketball courts.
The house was the site of the culmination of the Battle of Brooklyn (also known as the Battle of Long Island) on August 27, 1776. On this site, patriot troops from the colony of Maryland held off British and Hessian forces long enough for Washington’s army to escape across the Gowanus. In the 1880s, Washington Park was home to the Brooklyn Baseball Club, which later became the Brooklyn Dodgers.
The house is a public/private partnership. The Old Stone House is run by a small not-for-profit organization, which acts as steward for the park spaces. The house is planning a gallery renovation to improve its interpretation of the American Revolution in Brooklyn.