Political club that also served wider community needs
Designed by Richmond Hill architect Henry E. Haugaard and built in 1908 in the Colonial Revival style. This elegant structure served as the headquarters of the local Republican Party and also the Richmond Hill Post Office. During both World Wars it was used as a canteen for the benefit of America’s soldiers and sailors. The Republican Club is the first official NYC Landmark in Richmond Hill. It was designated in 2002.
The building has been sold to a preservationist and will be restored.
(Submitted before 2004, updated in 2007)