Select Page

Philip's Candy (former)

About this listing

Until 2001, a handmade candy shop in Coney Island

Place Details

Borough : Brooklyn
Neighborhood : Coney Island
Commercial, Food & Drink

Place Matters Profile

Until it closed in 2001, Philip's Candy was the last saltwater taffy maker in New York City and oldest candy store in Coney Island. Opened in 1917, it was beloved by generations of tourists and locals alike as a wonderful source for homemade candy as well as a warm and welcoming spot.

Philip Calamaris first opened Philip's Candy on the Coney Island boardwalk, at the time a bustling entertainment center with three amusement parks. In the 1930s he moved the store to the subway station on Surf Avenue (the subway had been extended to Coney Island in 1920), where it remained virtually unchanged for the next 60-plus years.

In 1947, John Dorman, a 17-year-old Staten Island native, began working at the store, which at the time mostly sold saltwater taffy and popcorn. In 1956, he was able to purchase the store, which he later jointly owned with Margaret Cohn, who...

Read More

Sources

Christian, Nichole M. "Pullying Coney Island's Sweet Tooth: As a Landmark Candy Shop Closes, Even Diabetics Mourn." New York Times, April 6, 2001, Metro Section.

Dorman, John. Interview by Elena Martinez for Place Matters. January, 29, 2000.

Farrell, Bill. "Coney Subway Work is Good and Bad News." Daily News, January 19, 2001.

Martin, Douglas. "The Sugar Fix at the End of the Line." New York Times, January 7, 1996.

On The Web

Places That Matter: Coney Island

Nominations

Carter Craft

Delectable treats, homemade candies for bargain prices, great conversation for free. [Closed in 2001.]


Website : https://placematters.net/node/1415

Share This Listing

Place Matters is a project of:
Place Matters c/o City Lore
56 E. First Street
New York, NY 10003
212.529.1955
© Place Matters. All Rights Reserved.
Website by Echo