Select Page

Our Lady of Guadalupe at St. Bernards Church

About this listing

A Greenwich Village church, formerly Church of St. Bernard

Place Details

Borough : Manhattan
Neighborhood : Greenwich Village
Institution, Place of Worship

Place Matters Profile



Nominations

Patricia Lawler

St. Bernards is a Gothic structure with large Tiffany windows and a large pipe organ in the choir loft. The marble on the altar is imported from Italy. In 1967, the murals were restored and the Italian marble finally made visible after being covered with paint.

St. Bernards was once a parish with a large congregation. The parishioners were Irish immigrants and their descendents. In the early 1960s, the parish became more of a melting pot, as did the rest of the city.

Until recently there was a commemorative marker with a brief history of the church and its landmark status. The marker has been removed since the church, due to a decline in congregation, merged with Our Lady of Guadalupe. There is no indication that this was St. Bernards. The inside murals and 100 year old mosaics are covered with a new painting. This is history that is erased. The artwork and architecture are significant. Even though a merger is a sign of the times, St. Bernards should still have a place in Village history. The marker should be restored.


Website : https://placematters.net/node/1398

Share This Listing

Place Matters is a project of:
Place Matters c/o City Lore
56 E. First Street
New York, NY 10003
212.529.1955
© Place Matters. All Rights Reserved.
Website by Echo