One of the first ministries in the Bronx, chartered in 1696
It is the first church in the Bronx with a regular ministry. It received its charter in 1696, by the King of England. Edgar Allan Poe used the church library for quiet time and study. He buried his wife in the church's cemetery. The names of nearby streets are the names of former members (Claflin, Valentine, Briggs) to name a few. The third pastor of the church was John Peter Tetard, a local Junior High School is named after him.