Select Page

Congregation Ohab Zedek Building (site of)

About this listing

Once home to one of the largest and most influential Jewish congregations

Place Details

Borough : Manhattan
Neighborhood : Central Harlem
Institution, Place of Worship

Place Matters Profile

Place Matters Profile

One of the largest and most influential congregations in turn-of-the-century New York, the Ohab Zedek moved here from the Lower East Side and brought the renowned Cantor Yossele Rosenblatt from Hamburg, Germany in 1913. He was the highest paid and most popular singer of Jewish liturgical music in the country. Even non-believers and radicals would attend synagogue to hear him sing. In 1926, the congregation moved to the Upper West Side and today the Harlem building is home to the Baptist Temple.


Nominations

Gene Sklar (East Harlem Historical Organization)

-


Share This Listing

Place Matters is a project of:
Place Matters c/o City Lore
56 E. First Street
New York, NY 10003
212.529.1955
© Place Matters. All Rights Reserved.
Website by Echo