Select Page

Club Tropicoro (site of)

About this listing

Latin music nightclub that also hosted political events

Place Details

Borough : Bronx
Neighborhood : Longwood
Theater, Historic Site & Museum

Place Matters Profile

Place Matters Profile

Puerto Rican boxer (and two time lightweight champion of the world) Carlos Ortiz, was the owner of the Tropicoro Club, which operated for about six years beginning in the late 1960s. Located across the street from the second location of the Tritons Club, the Tropicoro attracted all the major names in the Latin music scene of the era. It was also one of the most glamorous clubs of its time with mirrored walls, a big stage and dance floor, and a distinctive oval-shaped sunken bar with bucket seats. The 41st Police Precinct (which was relocated from its original site on Simpson Street where it was sometimes referred to as “Fort Apache”) now stands on the site of the club.


Nominations

Anonymous Nominator

Nominated through the Mambo to Hip Hop Community Focus project.


Share This Listing

Place Matters is a project of:
Place Matters c/o City Lore
56 E. First Street
New York, NY 10003
212.529.1955
© Place Matters. All Rights Reserved.
Website by Echo