Select Page

Church of the Resurrection (site of)

About this listing

Ministry that led the revitalization of the Metro North Community area

Place Details

Borough : Manhattan
Neighborhood : East Harlem
Institution, Place of Worship

Place Matters Profile

Editors Note: Thank you to Christopher Bell for informing us that Church of the Resurrection was demolished in 2007. A new church is slated to go up on the site.

In 1960, the three storefront congregations of the East Harlem Protestant Parish (EHPP) united to form the Church of the Resurrection, in the heart of the neighborhood known as the Metro North Community. This Church represents the intertwined history of the EHPP and the grassroots tenant organizing movement that created Metro North in the 1960s. Working alongside residents of what was then one of the most notorious "slums" in the city, the ministry of the EHPP helped train and rally local tenants to protest the rats, fires, leaky roofs and unheated rooms that plagued the neighborhood--and ultimately transform the blocks north of Metropolitan Hospital into a model tenant-led neighborhood revitalization. This sort of socially-based, practical ministry typified the EHPP since...

Read More

Nominations

Norman Eddy

The Metro North Citizens Committee, a grassroots organizing movement created by the staff of the Church of the Resurrection, mobilized residents of what was then one of the most notorious slums in New York. It rallied and trained local tenants to protest the rats, fires, leaky roofs, and unheated apartments that for many had become the norm.


Website : https://placematters.net/node/1099

Share This Listing

Place Matters is a project of:
Place Matters c/o City Lore
56 E. First Street
New York, NY 10003
212.529.1955
© Place Matters. All Rights Reserved.
Website by Echo