Places that Matter

New Brighton Village Hall (site of)

Former center of governance, abandoned since 1968
Place Details »

Place Matters Profile

New Brighton Village Hall was a historic village hall, built around 1871. James Whitford, an English-born architect, designed it as three-story brick building in the French Second Empire Style. New Brighton, in the North Shore are of Staten Island, was developed in in the mid 1800s as a village of country homes of prominent New Yorkers. Although the village system was the prominent governing system at the time, villages did not commonly build such municipal buildings. A rare relic, the New Brighton Village Hall was one of only two village halls on Staten Island.

After Staten Island's consolidation to New York City in 1989, the former village was used as a local court, a health insurance office, a youth activities office and a doctor’s office. Although designated a historic landmark by the NYC Landmark Preservation Commission in 1965, after a fire in 1969 the former village hall was vacated. Abandoned and neglected for years, the property passed from one owner to another who had big hopes of renovation but that never materialized. In February 2004, after decades of failed plans to preserve the building, the former village hall was demolished after the Department of Buildings deemed it unsafe and a danger. It has since then been rebuilt as subsidized, low-income housing for the senior citizens.