Places that Matter

Grand Ferry Park

click on image for slideshow
Manhattan view from the park, Jedediah Baker
Manhattan view from the park, Jedediah Baker
Tower, Jedediah Baker
Park name sign, Jedediah Baker
Pocket park next to the East River in Williamsburg
Place Details »

Place Matters Profile

This park is named for a 19th century ferry that ran between this site in Brooklyn and Manhattan. After the ferry service ended in 1918, the abandoned ferry landing became one of the few stretches along the east river where people could access the waterfront. In the early 1980s, the land was unofficially made into a park by local residents and the advocacy group New Yorkers for Parks. Eventually, the land was officially turned into parkland. The park’s revitalization was completed in 1998, and its design includes smokestacks and cobblestones, reused physical elements from Williamsburg’s industrial heyday.